Re: MSRP (no LBC content)

To: Richard Shipman <mbelect@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: MSRP (no LBC content)
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:56:45 -0400
Cc: David Riker <davidr@sunset.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Richard Shipman wrote:

> A fool and his money are soon parted...
>
> Some people have more money than sense...
>
> and people are dying to get into those overpriced caskets that the funeral
> home is selling as well!!
>
> It's a shame that the poor car salesman is powerless to put a cap on this
> insanity on the part of the general public... seems like they should be able
> to "go talk it over with the manager" and then twist the customer's arm till
> he agrees to pay less for the vehicle (*never happen*).
>
> Richard

Lets face it, nobody likes car salesmen.  Sorry David, but that is the
truth.  But if I was selling cars and I could sell a car for 10K above
sticker price, and I was on commission I would.  If the public really
wanted to avoid this price haggling crap, and feeling that they were
ripped off, more people would buy Saturn's, and that sales model would
be more popular.

The Internet is changing the game.  People are being able of offer a price
that the will pay, and some dealer will fill the order if there is profit
in it for him.  As the model changes so better the dealership or they will
left out in the cold.  Look at the problems that Barnes and Noble had
in figuring out how the Web fits in with their retail stores.  In the mean
time amazon.com grew big enough to be a threat.

Anyway it is supply and demand.  Selling a car for 10K over sticker is not
the same as ripping of hurricane victims by selling a sheet of plywood
for 50 bucks.  The second seems morally wrong, while the first is just
business.  After all nobody really needs an S2000, they could always
buy a Corolla or better yet, a Saturn to get from A to B.  IMHO
and enough rambling.

Bill Gilroy

PS. I don't and never have sold cars or worked for commission.  I have
worked
for tips.