Re: Midget doesn't seem to like to cold

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Midget doesn't seem to like to cold
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:25:45 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles,

At only 40, I don't think the oil weight is the problem. More than
likely you need to give your battery a good, long trickle charge. You
should also check its water level and the electrolyte composition ($2
tool from PEP boys - looks like an eye dropper with little colored
plastic balls).

Good luck,

Jeff

At 9:04 AM -0500 11/18/99, Charles D. Sorkin wrote:
>Dear List:
>
>Subject line says it all.  The battery wasn't turning the starter very
>quickly when I tried to start the '74 Midget last night.  Temperature was
>around 40 degrees.  Hooked it up with jumper cables to another car, and the
>result was better, but still not enough to turn the starter very fast.
>What's the problem?
>
>Is it time to take out the 20W50 oil and put in 10Wsomething?  With the
>starter behaving badly even with the jumpers, I have to wonder if the
>condition of my battery has anything to do with the problem.  Do the Lucas
>starters normally behave this way in cold weather?  Eventually, I got the
>car started, and after everything warmed up, it was fine.
>
>I am of course tempted to get a new battery regardless, as the current one
>is a relic from the DPO.  What size (product number) should I specify at the
>generic Advance Pep Zone store?
>
>Regards,
>
>Charles
>'74 Midget