Re: E-bay

To: ldsp <ldsp@flash.net>
Subject: Re: E-bay
From: type79@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 1999 00:36:22 -0800
Cc: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Robert Weeks <lists@woozy.com>, Stefan Roundy <stefanr@bealenet.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Susie,

Another good point.

This whole subject is silly, in my opinion.

In my experience, most of the truly rare Spridget "stuff" on ebay goes for a
reasonable bid, why I don't know.

Last year I "won" a bid on a rare period finned valve cover for an A-series
engine that no one else bid on, $35.00 plus shipping. Weird. I have purchased
numerous factory parts manuals and automotive literature for cheap on ebay as
well. Where were all of the other bidders?

I have seen bidders drive the price of period Healey models to over $100.00 one
day and then literally watch them sell for $20.00 the next week.

So to quote the old Wendy's commercial, where's the beef?

Another point that everyone seems to miss is that if you/we are talking about
"parts" at auction, these are not rare pieces! Come on! Call Just Brits,
Motorhead, University Motors, Mini Mania, Seven Enterprises, Winner's Circle,
etc. and order the parts you need.

The interesting thing about ebay is that in the worldwide ebay community, you
will find that few things are truly rare and many things that people think ARE
rare, come up again and again and again.

Bottom line, I have no problem with refraining from bidding against a friend,
but I do have a problem with an organized effort to manipulate bids or peer
pressure to do so.

And one last thought before I leave, won't you feel foolish when you step aside
for a friend and he loses the item to another bidder for a price that you would
have paid?

Ohhhhhh Boyyyyyy, this subject is getting tired.

I'm going to listen to my new Dead CD's.

Jay Fishbein