Re: Storing and Cataloging

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Storing and Cataloging
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 14:50:28 EDT
In a message dated 7/17/00 5:07:58 AM, DLancer7676@cs.com writes:

<< Speaking of stocking shelves--Anybody come up with an interesting,
effective,
and/or unique way of storing all those new and/or used parts so you can find
them again?  Does it Involve labeling, unique ways of boxing, or even the
computer? >>

For small parts we have used soft butter tubs.  For some reason we save the
tubs and lids, always seem to find another use for them.  Write on the
outside with a Magic Marker what is in the tub.  They can be stacked three
high safely.  Lately we have been using the ZIpLock Containers which are
cheap and in different sizes.  Some of the clear plastic containers or parts
cabinets with the small drawers will dissolve if you put greasy parts in
them. Suggest getting only one and trying it out if you are going to use them
for greasy parts.

It is our nature to sit down at the computer before starting almost any task
or project.  So we have used a database to keep track of parts on hand as
well as parts needed.  When doing a frame up the database is very useful in
keeping track of the status of all the parts.  Our database includes the part
description, what assembly it goes on, number on hand, their condition, where
they came from or from whom they have been ordered, the quantity, price,
order date, expected delivery date, actual delivery date.  It will sort on
and pull out those items that we have zero on hand and which have not been
ordered.  From this we know what parts to order with a minimal amount of
brain stress.  It will also list parts due but have not been delivered so we
can do a follow up on those items.

In doing a frame up it is our recommendation to take lots of photographs,
they are very helpful when putting the car back to gather;  sort, label and
store the parts and use a computer program to keep track of all of the parts.

Two cents for two old computer freaks.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1967 Sprite Mk III (in progress)