Re: Car for Sale in Penn.

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car for Sale in Penn.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 20:04:45 -0800
Perhaps it is time to clarify some issues relating to auctions, whether eBay,
Christies', Sotheby's, or the local yokel auctioneer.  There is really nothing
mysterious or sinister about it all, for the practices have not really changed
much throughout the long history of auctions.

In all auctions, a seller always sets a minimum opening bid.  Seller's also have
the ability and right to set a "reserve".  That reserve is different from the
opening bid, and is the minimum price a seller will accept for an item.  A
reserve price is  known only to the seller and to the auction house.  If bids on
an item do not reach the reserve, the item is not sold, but the seller must
still pay a commission to the auction house.

An opening bid is established in order that the bidding begins at a reasonable
point.  It would be foolish to start bids at $10 for an item with a $1,000
reserve.  By putting the opening bid at say $750, only serious buyers would
submit bids.

Finally, I have to laugh at some of the snide comments made about auctions and
people who sell on them.  This is usually about the avarice of it all, and how
people want to get the most money possible for an item.  People who would make
such silly comments should remember that not all people are as generous as they
purport to be.  Nor are they as dedicated to the marques.  Somehow I believe, as
the bard wrote, "the lady protesteth too much".  Yep, I have sold things on
eBay.  But in the last 40 years, I have given away far more Sprite items, and
last month gave away a Sprite body to someone who was in desperate need of one.

Bob Evans
Anaheim, California
AN5 (2)