Re: Converting a UK Frogeye to USA Bugeye

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Converting a UK Frogeye to USA Bugeye
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 09:53:10 -0700
Cc: <Robert.Latham@central.sun.com>
I live in the Denver Metro area and suggest the following:
1.  Assuming you will be keeping your Frogeye, get the 5 yr. "collector car"
plates.  No cost savings, but no renewal hassle each year.  I do not attach
front plates on my classics and have never been stopped for this.  It may help
to have the collector plates if you try this.
2.  Emission tests are only required for cars after 1960.  I can't remember if
1960 itself needs testing, if so, even more reason for 5 year plates; only one
test every 5 years.
3.  Carb needles probably will not need changing, just tune the carbs for this
altitude.  If proper adjustment can not be achieved, then use one step leaner
needles.
4.  Unleaded regular gas works just fine unless you have a much higher CR or if
you put on abnormally higher miles on your car.  We typically put about 2,500
miles on each of two cars, a MG Midget and out big Healey, and have not had any
problems with valves.
5.  Join us in the Rocky Mountain Healey Club, we have numerous Bug... I mean
Frogeyes.

>>> Robert Latham <Robert.Latham@central.sun.com> 02/27/01 07:17AM >>>
I moved to Colorado last year and finally took the
plunge and decided to import my Frogeye. It arrived
yesterday via a British Airways 777 (a friend in
the business got a pallet rate cheaper than any
sea freight charges !!!).

Cleared it through customs and sadly it had to make
the last 20 miles on the back of a tow truck, after
the electrics packed up. This Frogeye eats control
boxes every 50 miles must fix it soon.

So some stupid questions

        - after it been for a pollution check it
        will be issued with Colorado plates. So what
        is the best way to attach them. The current
        nmumber plate fits snugly in a recess at the
        back and on a small plate ( no bumper) at the
        front.

        - Petrol or Gas - I have 956cc Gold seal engine
        (basically a factory rebuild of the original
        956cc). I'm inteding to add some STP lead
        subsitute to the tank what rating fuel
        works best.

        - Carbs being at 5000ft+ intending to fit some
        lean needles to its HS1 carbs, does this make
        sense.

Any other thoughts as to what needs doing - I hope it will
not need seat belts etc.

Robert