Re: Engine/Transmission Removal

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine/Transmission Removal
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:19:32 -0500
> umm.. of course it will also allow the uncontrollable tilting in either
> direction if something goes wrong.  I bought one of the cheapo screw
> type levelers from HF some years ago and it works like a charm for
> removing really difficult cases such as the SAAB Sonett engine/tranny.

You would think so, but with the amount of sliding that the 2" wide nylon
strap has to do to tilt, there is nothing uncontrolled about the tilting. I
have used the 4-chain tilt bars; for use with a cherry-picker on a Detroit
V8, they are hard to beat. One of the first times that I used one was to
snag a Pontiac 400CID V8 with TH350 automatic trans attached out of a
Pontiac Parisienne. Didn't even need to take the bonnet off. Unfortunately,
it is overkill on a Spridget and there just aren't the nice balanced bolt
locations on a 1275 that there are on a V8. Having used the strap, I no
longer have a tilt bar on my wish list.
David Lieb