Re: Engine/Transmission Removal

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine/Transmission Removal
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 15:23:46 -0700
I don't get the fuss over the leveller.  I've pulled bugsy's motor both with
and without trans attached several times.  A short piece of chain attached
at the rearmost manifold stud and a thermostat housing bolt hole.  I hook
the chain through the hook of the cable hoist and pick a link that will
result in a slight 'nose up' lift.  That balance point allows you to either
push down or pull up on the tailshaft to acheive any angle you need for the
few seconds it takes to nudge it in or out.  I've done probably 6 engine
pulls this way in the last few years and always alone.  Lately, I include
the driveshaft both in and out so I don't have to drain the oil on the way
out or try to refill it once back in the car.

The only problem I encounter is the need to use the BF screwdriver to nudge
the front pulley past the crossbar just before it pops into place. (Caused
by the Datsun tranny hitting the heater air box/shelf)

Glen