Lucas?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lucas?
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 9:58:09 -0400
Preface:
Last fall I started having problems with my Midget.  The electrical would 'go
dead'.  Wiggling wires on the fuse box seemed to fix things.  What with what's
going on with my house, I forgot about it until this spring when it did it
again.  I ordered and installed a new fusebox.  All was well until last night.

Last night, as I was driving home and it was getting dusky, I decided to turn
on the headlights.  Fine . . . until I came to a stop sign.  When I released
the clutch to go, everything went dead.  Wiggled the wires and the radio came
on. Started the car.  Let the clutch out, . . . died.  Touch the cover on the
fusebox and the radio comes on again.  Start the car, and all is well.  Drive
around the neighbourhood for a bit and all is well.  Turn on the headlights
after about 5 minutes.  Ammeter shows big discharge and the battery condition
guage is showing that it is diminishing rapidly.  The guages die a few times
but come back as the car starts itself again.  So I turn off the headlights but
the guages are still acting like they're out of a Steven King movie.  In 2
minutes all is normal again.  I turn towards home and repeat the exercise.
Turn on the headlights and things go screwy.  Turn off the headlights and
things remain screwy for a minute or 2 and then normal.

Does anybody have any idea whats going on here?

Thanks!
Robert D.