Re: In car navigation system

To: Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In car navigation system
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:23:40 -0700
On Oct 26, 2005, at 6:17 AM, Larry B. Macy, Ph.D. wrote:

>> So with that background I would like in auto nav system that can
>> be added to
>> her 2002 VW Passat. It has to be easy to use and have a decent
>> mounting
>> system. Has anyone on the list had any experience with these
>> things? Any
>> recommendations? Likes or dislikes? Must have features?
>>
>> Bill "Wrong Way" Gilroy

Bill,

When we got our unit in '03 there were only three add on Street GPS
systems worth considering. The most expensive (about $2700) was a
permeant installation.  The other two were portable and at that time
were in the $800 to $1000 range.  One is made by Mariner (sp?).
Yesterday at CostCo I saw Mariner has a newer model which they were
selling for about $450 I think.  Garmin is the other manufacture and
in '03 you could find their Street Pilot III for about $800 with all
of the accessories.  We used this unit on our '03 Around the USA trip
and I still use it on trips.  I like it for the portability.  I can
use it in any car but you do have wires laying out in the car.  One
going to the lighter for power,  the batteries just do not last very
long.   There is an additional wire if you use and external high gain
antenna.  I find the extra antenna necessary in the Jeep and helpful
in the motorhome and of course not needed in the convertibles.  With
this unit and the Mariner at that time you could only have some
portion of the U.S.A. or Canada in memory.  So for cross country
trips you needed a WinTel computer to reprogram the GPS memory.  This
may have changed with newer units.  My Garmin keeps all major
highways, many state highways and facilities near those roads in it's
main memory.  Then there is memory that is removable and
reprogrammable for local streets.  The point is to check if and how
the unit is programed.  The other part is updates.  Street updates
occur about every 12 - 14 months.  Garmin has been doing main memory
updates, via the internet, for free but the local street level
updates have been $100.  For the Garmin you must use their software.
This has been my only complaint with their product.  Thus far I am
still using the '03 maps.

I find the routing to be on the money about 98 to 99% of the time.
It is a dumb stupid machine and it can get messed up.  Also
business's disappear faster than the updates so you can find yourself
making worthless drives.

Bob Kitterer

1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Sprite Mk III (Trevor, in boxes)