Re: License plates

To: Billy Zoom <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>
Subject: Re: License plates
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:53:07 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Billy...

>The car was parked on the street, and the CHP officer parked in front of my
>work and waited almost an hour for me to come out so he could give me a
>ticket.

Hmmm.  Very curious.  First, prime CHP jurisdiction is limited to
enforcement on freeways and in remote unincorporated areas.  There was a
turf war between the CHP and LAPD about 30+/- years ago.  In the end,
the legislature mandated that while CHP has jurisdiction throughout the
state (just as a police officer in San Diego is also considered a cop in
Eureka), local jurisdictions did not go hunting on the freeways, and CHP
did not hunt in incorporated cities.  Second, a police officer does not
have to wait for someone to drive away in a car as you described.  Such
a violation can be issued left on a parked car.

>but they always wanted to search the Hudson for guns

A vehicle can't be searched unless 1) driver gives permission, 2) a search
warrant has been issued, 3) unrestricted searches of person and property are a
condition of parole or probation for a previous crime, or 2) they arrest the
driver and make an inventory of contents before the vehicle is towed.

Buster