Re: Bugeye Group..... Re: Spridget 50th

To: Spridget50th@spritespree.org
Subject: Re: Bugeye Group..... Re: Spridget 50th
From: Jay Fishbein <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:43:05 -0400
I have tried to avoid chiming-in on this thread (ouch) since it was my
understanding that there was already several people who were making the
decision on location, etc. But here goes....

I agree that it is best to have a meet dedicated to the Sprite's 50th
Anniversary rather than dimish it's importance by making it a lesser
part of a major event already planned.

In my own experience, larger clubs, whether they be Austin-Healey clubs
or MG clubs, by-and-large don't have the same appreciation for Sprites
and Midgets as those on this list do. Spridgets are different cars than
Big Healeys and A's, and B's. Owners of those cars for the most part
have little or no knowledge and appreciation for Spridgets, just as many
of us have little or no knowledge and appreciation for Big Healeys and
A's, and B's. For this every reason, there are separate clubs for
T-Series cars and A's and B's. (As a minor illustration, I was at an MG
club event some years ago and had to explain to an owner of another
model of MG exactly what was an Austin-Healey Sprite. As another aside,
there is an MG book by a respected MG historian that makes the arguement
that regardless of the fact that the Sprite was designed by the Healeys
and preceded the Midget by 3 years, more Midgets were produced therefore
making the former facts secondary in importance to the latter!)

I'm not casting aspersions on the clubs; that's just the way it is.

I also don't believe you can stage more than one official 50th
anniversary event in the USA. Having multiple events nationwide will
only diminish their importance and but for handful of people, the same
owners are not going to attend more than one.

As for the effort that is underway, it's important to remember that this
evolved from the extreme effort and dedication expended by one Rick
Moses from Hershey, PA. who almost single-handedly organized every one
of the past major Sprite dedicated events. He/They were there first and
were very successful at it and therefore I defer to them and their
collective wisdom.

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does." Murray Walker