Re: Part #710. Not politically correct. Some automotive

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Subject: Re: Part #710. Not politically correct. Some automotive
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 18:09:52 -0700
Peter C. wrote:   "I looked at the bushings and noting they weren't real
round, offered that he could use our shop and reamer."

Just about anywhere you turn today, shop owners, their insurance
companies, and their lawyers cringe at such old-fashioned courtesy and
helpfulness.  We have all seen large signs proclaiming, "OSHA
Regulations forbid customers coming in the shop area."  (Of course, OSHA
doesn't give a hoot about customers, only employees.)

Peter's story reminded me of Gus Wilson, that mythical old-fashioned
master mechanic who for 44 years appeared on the pages of Popular
Science Monthly.  The stories of Gus taught kids (and adults) a lot
about cars, values, and common sense in a time sadly passed.
Fortunately for us, Joe Way at Sierra Specialty Automotive has
reproduced these wonderful stories at http://www.brakecylinder.com .

Buster Evans