Re: Part #710. Not politically correct. Some automotive

To: lewing@sport.rr.com, b-evans@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Part #710. Not politically correct. Some automotive
From: RBHouston@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 19:54:18 EDT
In a message dated 7/22/2006 4:46:50 PM Mountain Standard Time,
lewing@sport.rr.com writes:

It's  knowing who has a fair and honest price that's the problem.  Day
doesn't go by here without someone asking for a lower price for my
services.

Lester

**
Gotta jump in here.  We buy a lot of stuff, antiques, old cars, junk,  yard
sale stuff, and I always ask for the "best price" and usually ask if they  will
take a little less, but most of the stuff I buy it's difficult to determine
what is fair and honest.

What's a bugeye worth? $1500? $35,000?

There are five prices for everything,

What you want for it
What I want to pay
Wholesale
Retail
What it really sells for

Only the last one is fair and honest in my opinion.  If the price you  ask is
firm, say so, then I have to decide if I want to pay that much.  No  need to
take offense, just be firm and honest.  There's nothing wrong with  folks who
name a price  and then negotiate...pretty much the way things  work around
here.

My wife was embarassed the first time she heard me ask the "best price"
question, but she's learned.

If you pay the price marked at a Mexican market, you got screwed.

Just a different prospective, but I grew up with a "horsetrader" dad, and  my
grandfater always insisted (although the derivation is actually from a Knight
 Templar) that Houston came from "housethief".

 (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1375.html) Robert B. Houston  Rampant,
Inc. Transervicios SA de CV
Isn't it interesting that the same  people who laugh at science fiction
listen to weather forecasts and  economists?
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1375.html#email) _ Kelvin Throop  III_
(http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Kelvin_Throop_III/)