Re: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:04:43 -0500
> My son is a VW man, anything after 2000 is pure garbage.
> His wife bought an 01, she now has a 99 as the 01 fell apart the same day
> the last payment was mailed in.

I have a 2002 GTi VR6. Last payment was sent in December and nothing has
fallen off since then... I hope. I think it is ludicrous that VW STILL use
lug bolts (what a pain) and oil filter elements (Major PAIN!!!, but better
than the steel wool that our old squareback had) in this day and age.
Problems that I have had so far are cross-firing at the coilpack -- cured by
lots of dielectric grease in the wire boots, bad temperature sender (twice)
which is another pain to even see, let alone touch. Original front brake
rotors also strongly resembled chinese dung-forged "steel". Still, it is fun
to drive although I am afraid of keeping it too long. There is also an issue
with the bearings in the idler for the serpentine belt melting down the
pulley and stranding you in nowheresville, but it hasn't happened to me yet.
David Lieb