RE: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT

To: <cciaffone@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: 76 Midget trade on craigslist CT
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:42:43 -0500
Sorry to hear of your negative experience.  However, your experience is
NOT typical, or normal for the Vanagon.  I mean, the Vanagon (like any
other mass produced automobile) is not entirely without faults.
I find it interesting that you loved your '72 and '77 so much, yet, the
part that broke on your '81 is no different than what your '72 and '77
were equipped with (if I understood your description correctly).  I
mean, all three of the model year Type 2s you owned used the same basic
engine (VW Type 4), with the same basic fuel injection system.
I just love my old, crusty looking '85 Vanagon.  When I got it, it had
been under the "care" of a real PUTZ, so I spent a fair amount of time,
effort and money to get all mechanical systems back up to factory specs.
My wife, then me, then my youngest son drove it day in, day out for 8
years before my son's "rawhiding" of the engine, when cold (he's a
volunteer firefighter) finally killed the engine.  The thing was utterly
dependable and a great long distance ride.  VERY comfortable and stable
on the highway.
If I ever find the time and money (read: after I get my son through
college), I'll plug a new water-boxer in that sucker and run it for a
couple hundred thousand more miles.
Trips to Import Carlisle just haven't been as much fun without my old
Vanagon.  That sucker can hold (literally) a TON of Spridget parts!
Best memory was pulling into our (local Triumph club) vendor space with
a complete Porsche 356B front clip in the back.  Everyone was totally
amazed by the fact that there was that kind of room in there (we brought
a whole bunch of other stuff, to, including a Porsche 912 engine that I
delivered on the way).  Best part was that the clip was sold before I
even got it unloaded!
When it was time to go to St. Louis to pick up a Spridget race car, I
was going to use the Vanagon, but ran out of time to install a trailer
hitch (took our old Chevy p/u, instead).  It would have been SO much
more comfortable, if a good bit slower ;)
Bud Osbourne