Re: [Spridgets] shifting isssues

To: <ryan.kubanoff@comcast.net>, "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] shifting isssues
From: "Paul Asgeirsson" <PAsgeirsson@att.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 22:14:54 -0800
Hi Ryan,

First thing I'd check is that the proper shifter is installed.  Smoothcase
and ribcase shifters are different.

Moving the shifter into the reverse position, requires that a spring by the
shifter be depressed.  It's located in the remote part of the trans and can
only be depressed by the shifter mechanism in the remote.  Is it rusted?

There's a botton topped captive rod inside this spring to keep it all
together and in proper alignment.  This is in both the smooth case and
ribcase remote.

If somehow this pin was bent on some forcing (BFH) approach on assembly, it
might not allow the shifter to move it al all.  OTOH, if any of the shifter
forks were not assembled properly, (Hard to do!), it might not shift
properly.

I'm assuming this trans has not been installed in the car, as you would
normally shift it in all gears on the bench to see if it works. So, getting
it apart wouldn't be much of a job to see what's causing this failure.

Later, Paul A