RE: Fuel Pumps

To: JLAIFMAN@PNM.MHS.CompuServe.COM (Jay Laifman)
Subject: RE: Fuel Pumps
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 96 8:18:13 PDT
> Stu writes:
>
> great idea:  Two fuel pumps, mounted in series . . .

Series?  Parallel, maybe?

> Not at all, only purely British - just showing you how far this car has
> seeped into your system.  British cars are full of "secondary" devices.
> For example, take the starter on my Alpine.  It has this really neat
> little knob you can turn with a wrench anytime it jams up.  Wow, what a
> concept.  My other cars certainly don't have it.  Only the real problem
> is that my other car's starters don't jam!
>
> Before you know it, you will be telling us you have bottled smoke to put
> back in the electrical system.
>
> Jay

Guess the post war Brit car industry was pretty consistent across makes.
In the late '50s I owned an '51 MG TD with a chronic starter jamming
problem.  I got in the habit of parking on hills when available or
facing in a direction that would make the car easy to push.

I finally got around to buying a shop manual and was ecstatic to find
that there was a section in it on dealing with a jammed starter.  I
eagerly read the section thinking I would finally learn how to cure this
irritating problem only to discover that there was a dust cap on the
back of the starter shaft that could be removed exposing a square end
that could be turned with a special wrench supplied by the factory as
part of the original equipment.  Of course this wrench was missing from
my TD when I bought it but a crescent wrench worked just fine.

Roland