Re: Alpine Conversion

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alpine Conversion
From: "Tom Witt" <wittsend@jps.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:44:23 -0800
 Could someone really "fake" a Tiger??? Possibly, but is likely it would
cost the price of buying a real Tiger in the first place so what would be
the point, especially if after it is completed it still potentially proves
to be a fraud.

    Today we have people that have bionic this and donor organ that. Does
that make them any less of the real person that the originally were? It if
feasible that you could have a center tub of original Tiger origin and front
and rear clips of an Alpine. This car would seem to be 2/3rds Alpine and
1/3rd Tiger. However, there were still only approx 7,000 tubs that were
spacifically built that are of Tiger origin. If the difference between a
Tiger fender and Alpine fender is a few factory drilled holes and that
disqualifies the car as a Tiger, then don't ever drill a hole to mount
anything on the car or it will no longer be a Tiger.  The shop manual
actually shows where to indent (with hammer) the Alpine inner fender to
clear the Tiger generator when it is used as a replacement panel.  Hummmm,
the factory says to use an Alpine part to "forge" (the word litteraly
carries two meanings here) as a replacement for the Tiger!!! Shame on
them!!!  (See section O page 13 of the Tiger shop manual).

    The bottom line is it's a Tiger if it left the factory as a Tiger. And
it is an Alpine if it left the factory as an Alpine. If you want a 100%
original Tiger then take your experts and cash and buy what you want, but
don't discount that there were 7,000 +  original Tigers and some need
replacement parts no long available from the factory, but can readily be
found from the car of which it sprang forth. Also keep in mind that the
proto types were never really Tigers either, but no one disputes their value
to the marque.

Tom Witt B9470101