Re: Restoring a Car or other Vehicle

To: DrMayf <drmayf@teknett.com>
Subject: Re: Restoring a Car or other Vehicle
From: Steve Laifman <SLaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:54:56 -0800
Mayf,

You have touched the nexus of the classic car owner's dilemma.  What to
change, and why.  Your tire issue has most likely been settled long ago
when bias belt tires practically stopped being made, (I am sure someone
is making a fortune at a specialty shop).  The day is fast approaching
when you will not be able to get 13" tires.

The solution, in my opinion, is to make what changes you feel allow you
to make your car enjoyable to own and drive.  Save all re-fittable
replacements for next owner who wants it "as was", as possible. Enjoy
your car, take whatever hit on resale any changes cause as part of
ownership costs, and disclose changes on sale.

If you do not like driving the car, or are concerned about your safety
or part availability, get one you can enjoy.

The enjoyment is the name of this game, not preservation of the "ancient
artifact" to museum standards.  Leave that task to those that enjoy that
aspect of ownership.  These are not Original Da Vinci artwork, after
all, and even those have been modified and updated by Da Vinci himself,
and others in restoration.  You do what can be done to preserve what you
can, and still like the car.

Whose car is it, anyway?

Steve

--