Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question

To: Thomas Witt <atwittsend@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question
From: allanballard@att.net
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:00:38 -0400
Thanks for all comments, they are very helpful. Yes, they knew it was a tiger
rebuild; they know the car already from a few repairs done there. I assume
they knew it has an electric pump after putting the motor back together and
into the car. I'll keep the list posted.

Allan Ballard

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 19, 2011, at 10:07 PM, "Thomas Witt" <atwittsend@verizon.net> wrote:

> I'm still curious to know if the builder knew the engine was going in a
Tiger... and that the Tiger uses an electrical fuel pump.  In my first post I
eluded to this. I mean if the builder thinks gas leaked in to the block at the
mechanical fuel pump then he's caught right there.

> I think Allan needs to ask questions of the builder in a ordered way so as
not to tip him off, but see the builders "logic" or lack of.  In situations
like this people often say, "something smells fishy."  It this case something
doesn't smell "gassy."

> Tom

overflowing for any reason not produce hydrostatic lock in a cylinder with the
quantity of fuel described? What path to the oil pan is open to gasoline
through the carb? In a properly built system; there is no such path. I think
gasoline in the oil is not the problem leading to cam bearing destruction.
> Alex Gabbard
>

> Allan,
>
> There are just too many red flags to pin the cam bearing damage on a crank
case full of gasoline diluted oil. Is it a small possibility (?) - yes, but
very, very small.
> As it has been pointed out the gas would have likely leaked out the
carburetor and been noticeable on the ground.  If per chance fuel had actually
leaked into the engine it likely would not have started either because it was
hydro-locked or been ridiculously rich. In any of the cases the smell of gas
would have been noticeable.

> If the cam bearing was noticeable bad, what was the condition of the other
bearing and for that matter the cam itself? To find that out the engine had to
be opened up.  If only the cam bearing is bad it seems to indicate improper
installation. That being either the bearing was misaligned (though getting the
cam in would have made that noticeable) OR more likely the oil hole was not
aligned with the galley. I would press the matter before accepting it as
"your" problem.