Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question

To: "Allan Ballard" <allanballard@att.net>, "LIST TIGER"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question
From: "awtiger" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:55:15 -0500
Something doesn't sound right here, Allan.  Under normal circumstances, that
couldn't happen, and by "normal circumstances," I mean someone paying
attention to what they are doing.  I admittedly don't have any experience
with an Edelbrock carb, but I'm sure that they're not too much different
than a Holley.  For a Holley to flood like that, the needle and seat would
have to be stuck wide open and, if anyone were watching what they were
doing, they'd see gas bubbling up out of the float bowl vent tubes.  Sure, I
suppose some of the gas would run down the throat of the carb, but it would
also be running over the top of the carb and down into the valleys on top of
the intake.  Did your engine builder just start the engine, let it run and
walk away and give it no supervision whatsoever???

The other point of interest is if it were flowing that much fuel into the
engine, there's no way it would idle at all.  Are they saying that it did
this while it was running or after they shut it off?  Did they not check the
oil level of the motor after initial start-up???  The bottom line is that
the pump would continue to keep pressure on the system, provided that power
was still going to it after the engine was shut off.  However, the needle
and seat is what shuts the fuel flow off to the motor when the bowls fill.
I'd be very hard pressed to believe that no one either saw the fuel spilling
out of the vent tubes or at least smelled it.  Are the folks doing your
rebuild reputable?  Do they have Ford V8 experience?  Personally, I think
there's more to this than what they are telling you.

Best of luck,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE