[Tigers] Fuel pump question

To: allanballard@att.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] Fuel pump question
From: Carmods@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:43:59 -0400 (EDT)
allanballard@att.net writes:

Under what circumstances would a stock fuel pump - pump gallons of  gas into
the motor?

Allen,

Here are two possibilities for your fuel leak problem.

A few years ago I opened my garage and found the floor covered and  the
Tiger engine wet and filled with gasoline. The ignition was off and  the float
valve was new and working. What I eventually found was that the gas  tank
vent was plugged. As the garage heated up the pressure in the un vented  tank
went up it over powered the float valve. In a Holly, that is about 10  psi.
After mopping and airing out the garage and changing the engine oil, I
drilled a small hole in the gas cap so it will always vent. The cork seal on
most old caps will leak enough to vent out, but I had found a new cap with a
good seal.

At an earlier time, I had another situation. I was changing the  exhaust on
my Tiger. I had the rear end jacked up as high as I could and  also had a
full tank of gas. The carburetor valve evidently had a  slow leak that wasn't
noticeable during normal driving, but with the constant  pressure of the
fuel above the carburetor, it leaked out over time.

John Logan