Re: [Tigers] Oil filter question

To: CALUMETAIR@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Oil filter question
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 22:26:45 +0000 (UTC)
If you do want to go with the shorty filter, I would suggest checking on filter
availability first. I used to run one on my 260 but was having a hard time
finding the Fram filter that fit. I tried using a WIX, but it seemed to be just
a bit thicker, making it a very tight fit and a real struggle to get on and off
over the tip of the nipple adapter. Especially messy off when it had oil in it,
given its vertical mounting position.

I am putting the CAT headers on my 347 and was thinking about going with the
shorty filter again. While CoolVT is correct that they will allow the shorty
filter to fit, the clearance is very tight. About 1/16 inch between the front
header downpipe and the side of the filter. At least for the WIX filter I put
on for test purposes. Too close to all that exhaust heat for my comfort, even
with the jethot coated headers.

And as he says, other headers may be a problem. When I was running headers from
Sunbeam Specialties on my 260, I had to go back to the original remote setup.

Just my 2 cents.

Gene