Re: [Tigers] Chambered exhaust systems?

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Chambered exhaust systems?
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2013 13:35:47 -0600
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Mike,
Here's a picture of what I think are the Mitchell mufflers - these are
what was on my Tiger when I got it.

For the rest of you that won't get the picture:

The body is 24" long, 3x5" oval, 2" in and out. Contrary to what I
remembered, the hangers attach 5" rearward from the front of the muffler
body - there is only about 20 inches between where the hangers attach on
the chassis and the rear axle tube.

I do recall the front of these mufflers pretty much touching the
rearward part of the underbody X frame, just behind the little exhaust
pipe notch in the X. The sound of these mufflers was pretty aggressive,
but it went well with the rest of the system and engine.

I would also be concerned with the amount of sound suppression that's
possible in a small diameter muffler such as the chambered ones in the
link below. It may be that with proper choice of all the internal
volumes, they get noise cancellation at most of the frequencies of
interest, but it seems to me that the overall result would still be
pretty dependent on the rest of the package, i.e. engine displacement,
cam, and the diameter of the rest of the exhaust.

Theo

On 4/7/2013 10:28 AM, MWood24020@aol.com wrote:
> Thanks, Theo. I was looking around the 'net yesterday and saw this:
> http://www.classicchambered.com/
> Concern is that there would really be minimal muffling. Upside would be
> installation, particularly in terms of avoiding the "mufflers hanging low"
> issue/look we have with our cars.
>
> I also had another friend tell me he installed the new tech, small diameter
>   glasspacks on his Tiger with very good results.
>
> I'm not a big fan of Flowmaster mufflers. I've yet to have an install where
>   there wasn't some droning, regardless as to whether running an H or X
> pipe.  They do sound good under throttle and are made very well, though!

IMG_1333.JPG]