Re: First Cross Country Trip (in the dead of winter)

To: ROVER827@aol.com
Subject: Re: First Cross Country Trip (in the dead of winter)
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 07:26:16 -0800
Maybe it' age, maybe it just me but some of my best memories are taking
cross country trips between California and Illinois in my TR6 during my
younger days!  Nowadays I still enjoy taking long trips in the TR6 just so
long as I avoid the crowded metropolitan freeways and I15 between Las Vegas
and L.A.  This year we had Triumphest in Laughlin, Nevada and it was a
fantastic 8 hour drive through some of the best desert roads one could ever
hope to travel!  Two lane blacktop that stretched out for miles in front of
you and no traffic!  The trip there and back was a definite highlight of
the weekend.

As far as the noise, bad gauge lighting, etc. - to me it's just the charm
of driving the TR6!

David J. Stauffacher
1970 TR6 CP51649
Ramona, California

Gang:

when I said it would be uncomfortable, I didn't just mean the seats, which
can be OK if the foam has been replaced lately.

It's mostly the other stuff:

--wind noise at highway speeds.
--wind leaks around the convertible top frame in the window area
--No place for your left foot
--Eye strain trying to read the gauges at night (they are not bright by
modern standards)
--No place to rest your left arm

TR6s are great. I have had 7. But they are really only tolerable for day
trips and car club outings.
I've never driven one in the snow, but I can imagine that it would be a
bear
to steer straight.

Richard Truett
1971 TR6