RE: First Cross Country Trip (in the dead of winter)

To: "Triumph Six-Pack (E-mail)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: First Cross Country Trip (in the dead of winter)
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:47:00 -0600
I drove my big Healey from Washington state to Washington, D.C. about five
years ago, in October, and enjoyed the trip, except for exruciating
discomfort from a lack of thigh support in the seats (Triumph seats are MUCH
better than Healey seats). I would end up sitting sideways with my right
foot on the transmission tunnel and my LEFT foot on the accelerator, which
meant that if I ever had to brake, it would take me about five minutes to
get untangled first. The Healey didn't like idling at high altitudes (ie
over the Rockies) and it broke an (aftermarket) fan blade in Indiana,
stranding me for a day when the water pump fried its bearings. But it was a
fun trip.

Re TR6s, I actually think they're fine for longer drives ... my 1969 (a
great year, IMHO) didn't have OD and would still cruise comfortable at 70 to
80 mph in hot summers in Eastern Washington without overheating, which is
more than I can say for the Healey.

Graham

Vienna, Virginia
63 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7