Re:differential questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, owner-6pack@autox.team.net, tr6@kc4sw.com
Subject: Re:differential questions
From: "David J Stauffacher" <dstauffa@csc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:54:52 -0800
Steve,

I would drop the diff and make a good inspection of your mounts.  You
already have done about 90% of the work needed to remove the diff; you
might as well go the last bit.  Otherwise you'll have to remove/disconnect
all this stuff later just to remove the diff!

By this time you should have removed the muffler and tail pipes making for
good access to the half-shafts, esp at the right side of the diff.  Now
it's just four nuts to remove and the diff will drop right out.  (use an
floor jack, preferably with a transmission jack adapter, to lower the
diff).  Now you can really see the diff mounts and if any work needs to be
done, you already have the area cleared!  Use new rubber mounts when
reinstalling the diff.

Best of luck,

Dave Stauffacher
1970 TR6
Ramona, California ... with a freshly rebuilt diff ready to go in!

Steve wrote>
I've got to redo my rear suspension this year due to the DPO(s).  They
rebuilt one side with all new parts and left the other side old.  Ah well
that's the fun.  The real question is if I have all of the parts for the
suspension out, including the half shafts. and I was pulling the drive
shaft
(for new u-joints).  Does it make sense to go whole hog and drop the diff,
check/reinforce, and put in new support rubber.

David J. Stauffacher
Decision Support Systems
Global Enterprise Systems / ASD / CSC
(858) 573-3465