Re: tr6 wheels

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: tr6 wheels
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:57:09 -0500
> There seem to be plenty of used ones floating around that are in
> good shape, and they generally go for cheap ($100 for a set of 4). My
> local LBC shop has stacks of them sitting around. I just picked one out
> for my spare tire (Why do DPOs throw them away? Strange...)
> Why bother getting them fixed? I suppose if you wanted to keep the
> car "100% original", but otherwise...?

Have the shop mount the rim to an axle and then have them rotate and measure
the run-out of each wheel before you buy them, and buy the best four they
have.  Run-out specs are listed in the Bentley manual.

Stock TR6 wheels are crap so it pays to make sure you buy the ones that will
provide you with the best service life.  After hitting a pothole a few years
back in my '74 TR6, a woman ran up to me in my Triumph (while stopped at a
red light) and frantically yelled at me that my right rear wheel was going
to fall off.  I assured her it was not, that it was just bent.  There was no
perceivable change of feeling in normal driving from that bent wheel, so do
not assume that just because a wheel drives and looks okay that it is within
its safe operating limits.

Grr, the more I think about it, the better off I would be driving around
with pizzas bolted onto my hubs... because the TR6 wheels are about as stiff
as a thin crust pizza!

Kai