Modified clutch - to be or not to be?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Modified clutch - to be or not to be?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:50:11 -0800
        Folks:

        As many of you know, I am overhauling my gearbox at the present
time. I have found several worn parts, and I am currently waiting for
replacements to arrive.
        While I am waiting, I am contemplating my clutch and it's severe
mangling at the hands of the DPO. For those of you who missed my public
lament, the DPO had welded the fork to the cross shaft in an
(unsuccessful) attempt to repair it after the clutch fork pin had
sheared.
        Here is my question for all of you: Roger Williams recommends
modifying the clutch by the addition of an additional pin through the
cross shaft and fork. How many of you have done this? Had your fork pin
broken? How many of you have *not* had any trouble with the stock setup?
        Nelson Reidel on the Buckeye Triumph web site claims never to
have had a problem with a modern hardened pin, and he believes that
simply not over tightening the pin is the key. I have a brand new,
hardened pin, and would like to retain the stock setup if possible. On
the other hand, I would rather not have to do the clutch over because
the pin breaks.
        So, inputs please? Modify, or not? And have you had problems
with a new pin without any modifications?

        Conflicted,

        Vance