Re: Modified clutch - to be or not to be?

To: "Peter Zaborski" <plz@shaw.ca>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Modified clutch - to be or not to be?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 14:19:02 -0500
> The pin is tapered.
> The cross-shaft has a tapered hole to accept the tapered pin.
> The partially threaded bore in the fork IS NOT TAPERED!!!

> I've never met Brian but would really like to. Too bad we live a few
> thousand miles apart.
>
> Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO

I agree with Brian's assessment, but be prepared to spend a little extra
time and patience assembling the unit with the straight pin.  My best guess
is that Triumph used the taper pin to speed up assembly times... for no
other reason than the taper helps to quickly align the fork to the correct
orientation on the shaft.

Anyhow, as a former employee of Brian's, there are very few other people
experienced enough to doll out advise on nearly any Triumph tech topic you
can think of.

The roll pin is the easier solution, especially, if already have a hardened
taper pin and want to use that.

Kai