A little help?

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: A little help?
From: TRsick@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:06:36 EDT
Thanks Vance & Co:
 " I am going to take exception to the Haynes manual and say  that
the there SHOULD be a spark when you open the points, assuming that  the
rest of the ignition system is in the correct configuration. This  is
what the distributor does; open the points to generate a spark. If  there
is *NO* spark, then the condenser is shorted or you have no power to  the
coil. I am thinking that either the Haynes is misleading, or just  flat
in error on this point."
 I agree, I also feel that there SHOULD be spark when this is  opened.

"The rough running under acceleration, and smoothing out when the
engine  speeds up sounds like a carb issue. I am going to say that you
have a  perforated carb diaphragm, bad air valve spring or low/incorrect
dashpot oil.  Either of these can cause the symptoms that you are
describing. Since you say  the carbs are "well adjusted" I am assuming
that the dashpot oil is topped  up, so my number one suspect is that you
have a bad diaphragm."
 I checked the diaphragms (look good), the springs  also look good & dashpot
oil is at the correct levels?? Car still  breaks up under load, idle is nice &
smooth.
Bob

Cheers,

Vance