Clutch Job recommendations Need

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Job recommendations Need
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:18:33 -0500 (EST)
Fellow Listers:
  I only shift into reverse with the engine off, otherwise way too much
grinding and clashing.   1st is tight, especially when shifting when stopped.
Bit of a whistle or whine when clutch pedal in.  Highway speed shifting is
acceptable.

  I'm guessing I need a new release bearing and that the clutch fork pin is
shot.  I'll see when I get in there.   A good mechanic did a clutch job 3-4
years ago, but it never was quite right.   I installed the .75 bore master
cylinder, it helped a bit but not enough.  Clutch seems heavier.

  My 73 is a street car with a number of mods to upgrade power such as shaved
and ported head, more cam, headers, SUs etc.   Maybe 140 hp.   I'm thinking
about doing the following:

  1)  LUK clutch kit with Gunst release bearing from Roadster Factory winter
sale.
  2) Drill clutch fork and install bolt and nyloc nut.  Bolt  size?
  3) New fork pin and bushes
  4) New rear engine seal.
  5) Resurface flywheel or lightened flywheel?  Not sure about lightened
flywheel yet.  An aluminum flywheel would be interesting but pricey.
  6) New pilot bearing
  7) New transmission seal (s)
  8) Slave cylinder was re-built during clutch job.  The seal seems to come off
the slave due to the force required, so maybe I'll just replace it.   Lockheed
seems to be the brand sold now.

  Will the Luk/Gunst be a reliable set-up for up to 150 hp?
  Is my work list accurate?

    All feedback greatly appreciated.   I know this is not a new topic, but I
really want to do this job just once.

  Thank you, Bruce Simms CF1941UO