Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?

To: quicksilver_rising@yahoo.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:07:51 -0500
Scott,

This is sure to bring some varied responses and opinions.  My guess is
your dilema is one reason why people own more than one of these cars.
Personally there is a part of me that would love to do a restoration
that retains or returns a car to as close as factory specs as possible,
just for the sake of being able to enjoy the car as it was made
originally.  On the other hand, I have made many modifications to my
car for the sake of reliability, drivability, aesthetics(mine), and
convienence.  I just like the looks of the car.

Interesting that the two colors you are considering are black and white
since a good analogy for this situation is a continum where one end is
black and the other white, ie, so much modification that you tell it
was a TR6 or a car fresh out of the factory door.  I suspect most
people choose some shade of gray.  I would encourage you to choose what
is going to make you the happiest.  I wouldnt worry too much about
value.  Certainly some cars on ebay have sold for a higher amount
because they were low mileage originals and people paid a premium for
that but low mileage in those instances was very low.  Cars with
unknown mileage have sold for close to the same amount because of the
condition they were in.  For me personally the value I strive for is
how I feel when I repair, restore, drive, etc. the car.  Any increase
in monetary value is gravy.

By the way, I love black and am not sure why more people have not
chosen this non-factory color.  Many people may not choose the color
because of how perfect the body has to be to not show imperfections.  I
agree that the car would probably look stunning.  As a side note, at
this years British Invasion in Stowe, Vermont a silver TR6 placed first
in the peoples balloting for the early TR6 category.  Besides, most
people looking at the car wont ever know that black wasnt a factory
color unless you tell them.

My two cents.

Good Luck with your decision.

Aaron

PS  If you intended to send a link to pictures of the car it didnt come
through in the email.

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108