RE: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, S Mann <quicksilver_rising@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:38:49 -0700
>===== Original Message From S Mann <quicksilver_rising@yahoo.com> =====
>Listers:
>  My question now;  since the car is now in the state of restoration that
most any car of most any condition can be taken to.......does it really make
much difference on how "original" to factory I restore the vehicle?
Specifically, color.
>  I do not intend to sell the car, yet, I feel compelled to retain as much
cash value as possible.
>  Since the car will never be truly "original" again, I have started to
change my attitude to "let's make this car say "wow."  This may include higher
quality interior, different paint and wheels.

>  Am I nuts?  Is BLACK just simply taboo?
>
>  If I do change color, I have been advised to stick with factory colors.
Well, then I will stay with the original white.  But in my new "attitude" I am
considering options.  Black (considering the amount of chrome items) is a most
striking color if I want it to say "wow"

Scott,

I am of course biased on this subject as my car is modified,including a
non-original color.

Of course, the highest value will be retained by doing a total restoration to
original, including color, trim etc... Unless you happen upon a buyer who
wants a TR6 modified exactly as you have done/will do and they are willing to
pay top dollar for yours instead of doing it themselves. (ya never know... it
could happen)

Now that the above statement is out of the way. If you do not plan on selling
it, then do as you please. If that means a non-factory color then do it. Don't
let some one push you into a factory color unless you really like it. Some
modern colors might not look right on this body style though. I think my
choice has been succesful and I have multiple peoples choice trophies to back
up my opinion. :o)

Black is not tabboo, IMHO black TR6's are very striking. Black can be
difficult though and therefore expensive to do well. The body MUST be perfect
or else EVERY flaw will be made very apparent.

Otherwise make it a car that you will feel comfortable driving in and
appreciate the work that you have done with no regrets.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)
http://www.triumphowners.com/690  (1980 TR8)