Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?
From: Kevin Thompson <kthompson@whoi.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 07:56:29 -0500
Hi Scott,
   I had the same questions when restoring my '76 a few years ago. I
never really liked the "flatness" of the original colors. Mine was
Carmine red, and I did the engine bay in the same color. However, I got
a hold of a few pages of color chips from a friend, who ended up doing
the exterior paint. I matched the closest color I could between the
original carmine red and a newer factory color with a bit more depth and
shine, and using a clear-coat paint. I went with a '99 Volvo flame red
pearl that is amazingly close to the carmine and looks simply stunning.
We used Glasurit paint products, and although I originally intended to
paint it myself, after paying almost $900 for the materials (from the
primer to the clear), I decided I could easily toss that $$ in the trash
with one mistake. (I'm not a painter....) It came out great, still wins
in class at "popular vote" shows, and I've never looked back or
questioned the decision......
   Good Luck,
Kevin T
Falmouth, Ma.