Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?

To: "S Mann" <quicksilver_rising@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Frame off restoration crossroads.....color?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kradicke@wishboneclassics.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:06:24 -0500
S Mann wrote:

>   I do not intend to sell the car, yet, I feel compelled to retain > as
much cash value as possible.

Echoing others, paint it whatever color you like the most.  There are far
too many red TR6s around, so I personally would love to see some more
variety.

I generally advise customers that sticking to the original TR color pallete
does not devalue the car, even if the color they choose may not have been
the original color for that car.  As long as the exterior color was a
correct TR color, and the interior is a matching color for the exterior
color, no harm done to the value of the car.  That might not be true in 10
years or so, but right now, there are so many TR6s that I doubt it has any
impact on the value of the car.  Although, TR6s tend to sell better with
colors that are solid and defining.  I personally feel that primrose yellow
is not a good TR6 color... it makes the TR6 look sick.  Others will say that
saffron yellow will make your car look like it was painted with cheese whiz
(I own a cheesewhizmobile).

When you get outside of the TR color realm, the color choice is more
personal, which means that any potential future buyers will need to have
tastes similar to yours for you to extract the value out of the car.  I
think the TR is a very flexible shape, it lends itself well to more modern
colors such as black and silver.

So pick whatever color you desire now.  If someone wants your car bad enough
when it is for sale, they'll put up with the color or eventually repaint it
in whatever color they would want.

Kai ('70 Damson, '72 Saffron)

--
Kai M. Radicke