RE: [6pack] Starter ?

To: "John Summers" <rivers2hills@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Starter ?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:49:53 -0700
        John:

        With a new battery and a rebuilt starter, it seems unlikely that
either of these systems are bad, particularly since they worked for a
while. Anything is possible of course, but I think you should be looking
elsewhere - at things that were disturbed during the installation for
example.
        I would start with the battery terminals. Since you had your
battery swapped, it is possible that the terminals were not tightened
adequately or that the terminals are corroded and need replacement.
        Remove them from the battery, and use a wire brush to clean them
and the battery posts, then reinstall and retighten. A loose connection
can provide enough juice to run the lights, but not turn over the
starter - been there, done that.
        Another possibility is that the battery connection to the
starter itself is loose. This would also give you good lights but no
start. Once again, remove the cable to the starter (disconnect the
battery first, or you will arc weld the cable to the chassis if you drop
it or touch anything!!!) wire brush it and reinstall with a fresh lock
washer. Tighten the nut securely.
        Check the ground strap from the battery to the chassis. Is it
clean with tight connections to the body AND the engine block? Once
again, remove the strap and wire brush the connections, then reinstall
and tighten the bolts securely.
        Listen for the starter solenoid to pull in when you turn the
key. If you get a loud click in the vicinity of the starter, but the
starter does not spin at all, then I would start to wonder if the
rebuild on the starter was any good. But for now, check those cables and
connections.
        Let us know how it goes....

        Vance