Re: [6pack] Starter ?

To: "R. Ashford Little II" <70tr6@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Starter ?
From: James Franks <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 08:15:39 -0400
Hello, Ashford,

If the voltage is low from the ignition switch to the solenoid, the
plunger in the solenoid may not be fully extending on activation. This
can cause weak engagement or just a click at the solenoid. To check, put
a voltmeter on the wire coming from the switch to the starter and check
for battery voltage (with key switch in START, of course). If it's below
9 volts or so, the cause may be that the connections inside the
electrical portion of the switch have corrosion causing the problem you
are seeing. BTDT

If there is no voltage at all, it could still be the switch, or possibly
the wire coming from the switch to the starter has failed from  becoming
brittle with heat. It can be spliced into near the switch and bypassed
with a new wire fairly easily if this is the case. (This one had me
going for a while!)

Hope this helps!

Jim Franks