[6pack] Starter ?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Starter ?
From: John Summers <rivers2hills@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:58:58 -0700 (PDT)
Folks, recently I upgraded my Stromburgs to DGV
Webbers.  During the process the car had to go to a
local British mechanic, because he had more semse than
I.  During the visit we found that my battery was dead
- ( I knew that) and after replacing it the mechanic
told me the starter was bad.  Up until now the starter
had been the one thing I could count on working.  I
bought it From Ted Schumacer many years ago after
going through at least 3 (British Catalog starters) in
one year. Like I said, this starter was rock solid.
So.  The mehanic sent the starter out to be rebuilt.
Upon return the car started fine probably 15 times in
the two months it was back at home.
Then last Friday night I made a midnight run to
WalMart.  When I got in the car for the return trip
the car kind of halfheartedly  turned over but did
start.
When I got home I remembered something I read in the
VTR site about evaluating a TR6.  It said something
like after driving turn the car off and set a couple
minutes and try to restart.  So I did that. NOTHING!
Not a click, not the sound of anything whirring, no
clunks, just nothing.  The lights came on and worked
fine and the electric fan was running but as best I
could tell the starter had decided not to be involved
in the process.
I have heard that the bendix could be stuck and a rap
to the side of the starter might knock it loose.  I
haven't tried that yet.  I DID try again last night to
start it with the same result.
It just seems strange to me that after 8 or 9 years
with a TSI gear reduction starter that would probably
start a HumVee because it was so strong, that the
thing would suddenly go bad and  I'd be back in the
same shape as when I bought the car.  I.E., constant
worry about the thing starting.
Most of you are probably at the VTR convention this
week, but I'll listen to  any suggestions.  For 9 more
years of flawless starting I may just buy another
starter from TSI,,,,unless there is a simple fix to
this one.
Also, is the actual changeout of a starter something
that an insecure all thumbs owner can accomplish.
Seems like they just bolt on.
Let's hear the corporate wisdom of the list, ok.

John Summers
'74TR6

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the
Yahoo! Auto Green Center.