Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software (and hardware?)

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Autocross Timing/Scoring Software (and hardware?)
From: "Glen E. Thompson" <glen.thompson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:33:53 -0400
They only report to the hundredth of a second.  As timing systems got more
precise the decision was made to limit scoring to hundredths.  Even though
the equipment may be able to measure more accurately, the thousands won't
matter - it will be a tie.  This is the case with all Olympic timing.
Most sports have adopted it.

Which brings the question of whether we want to try measuring times to
that accuracy.  If two drivers are tied to the hundredths, can we be
really sure that one beat the other?  At an average speed of 30 MPH on a
course, a difference of .001 second relates to 0.53 inches.  If side by
side, could you tell which one won?  In Rocky's Mirrorkana, I'm sure it
would be declared a tie.  Yet in most events we would call one of them a
winner.

Why not set a standard that all autocrosses are timed to 1/100 of a
second.  Regardless of how accurate the timing system, any digits less
significant than .01 will be disregarded.  Yes - we'll start having more
ties but is it all that bad?  I've mentioned that idea to others and
gotten mixed opinions.  What do the rest of you think?

glen
Glen E. Thompson
Regional Executive, Blue Ridge Region
Sports Car Club of America