Re: Obsolete Cars and Enjoyment

To: "Joshua Hadler" <jhadler@rmi.net>, "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: Obsolete Cars and Enjoyment
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:50:21 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Hader:

> That's why I like SP and Prepared, you can build your own darn mousetrap!

Me too, although I am no builder as is obvious from any results page! :-)
like driving the things.

But I have recently come to realize that the reason my 35-year-old race car
can still be competitive is largely a matter of arrested development, not
any inherent talent by me or those who build my stuff.

The fact is, my class (DP -- true also of lower Production in road racing)
is populated by cars that were new in the '60s, were very popular then, and
made by companies (Triumph, British Motors; later Brititsh Leyland cum
Jaguar-Rover-Triumph) that quit making them. If there was a '90s model
Spitfire or Spridget, our '60s/'70s models would have been obsoleted decades
ago. So when Spit/Spridget people whine about more recent Hondas and VWs in
the class being potential overdogs, IMHO it is because they are in
later-tech machines than because a Honda or VW has any inherent advantage.
They are the "sports cars of the '90s" while our old nails were the sports
cars of an earlier day. My car is what made the MG-TD obsolete, etc.

--Rocky