Re: Camber kit question

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camber kit question
From: "BPS Administrator" <mhood@busprod.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:25:52 -0500
The common fix (for vw's) even at the dealership for slightly bent knuckles
etc... is to simply use a camber eccentric bolt inplace of the normal bolts
that attach the strut to the knuckle. My car has one. why replace a $400
part when a $15 bolt will bring it into spec ? Wouldn't you think that stock
rules should be where alignment is within factory specs as to accomodate
space for repair I.E. a camber eccentic or equiv.? if you were to use the
above mentioned tools to acheive more camber than factory spec... and
finished well at an autox that wasn't a regional event you'll probably get
protested anyway. I don't see where it should matter much to have them. But
the rules are the rules, maybe they need changing. Only problem I see with
it, is a headache for the protest committee. If I put my stock springs back
on, my car would be eligible for stock class with the exception of my camber
eccentric used as a repair technique. I'n my case I'd rater spend the money
that it would cost to replace the knuckle on other goodies like tires and
camshafts etc.. and play in EP. And I race for fun not to win nationals.
Just my .02 worth.

-Mike