Re: Camber kit question

To: "BPS Administrator" <mhood@busprod.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Camber kit question
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 11:41:38 -0500
Mike wrote:

>The common fix (for vw's) even at the dealership for slightly
bent knuckles
>etc... is to simply use a camber eccentric bolt inplace of the
normal bolts
>that attach the strut to the knuckle.

For A2 and later cars (85 on), the "camber bolts" are not
eccentric, they just have reduced shank diameter. The VW shop
manual specifically calls out these parts and authorizes
replacement of one or both of the strut/hub carrier attachment
bolts with these parts.

> My car has one. why replace a $400
>part when a $15 bolt will bring it into spec ?

The VW bolts cost well under 10.00 the last time I bought them.
The answer to the question is that the rules say "as specified by
the manufacturer." If the mfr. specifies the bolts, you can use
them. Otherwise, you can'tt.

> Wouldn't you think that stock
>rules should be where alignment is within factory specs as to
accomodate
>space for repair I.E. a camber eccentic or equiv.?

There are lots of aftermarket alignment practices used to save
time and/or money (always for the shop, sometimes for the car
owner ;<) that aren't legal in Stock.

> if you were to use the
>above mentioned tools to acheive more camber than factory
spec...

Which is perfectly legal if the tools are specified by the car
manufacturer.

>and
>finished well at an autox that wasn't a regional event you'll
probably get
>protested anyway.

See above. If the replacement parts used to achieve alignment
outside of factory specifications are legal, then a protest will
be disallowed.

Jay