Re: swaybar info(2)

To: "Isley, Jason C." <JIsley@cell1.com>
Subject: Re: swaybar info(2)
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:04:52 -0700
OK, I'll jump in here, at least partially to Mark's defense.  If the
current rule is broken, it apparently became broken in the last 4 years
or so.

When I was on the SEB (I left 3 years ago) I felt the swaybar rule was
outdated.  I believed that we should change it to "either but not both",
but was also interested in whether the membership would accept "both
ends stock".  Anyway, after much discussion on the SEB we decided to put
it out to the membership.  It was published in FasTrack as a straw poll,
with the idea that we would decide a course of action to back after the
results of the poll.  The choices were 1) keep it as it is, 2) either
but not both, or 3) both stock.

The results were underwhelming.  If recollection serves, we received
about 20 letters in response.  Of these, opinions were split nearly
evenly between the three choices.  Since options 2 and 3 are
diametrically opposed, and there was no overwhelming majority, and the
response was so low, we felt if we were to make a choice that would
serve the membership best it was to leave it as it was.

So this HAS been floated by the entire membership just 4 years ago or
so, with a response that led to keeping the current rule in place.
Maybe it's time to try again, but just because Team.Net can whip itself
into a fervor over an issue doesn't mean that fervor is universal.

EDITORIAL COMMENT.  Going to both ends completely stock will widen the
gap in stock classes.  A vote for completely stock is a vote for M030's,
1LE's, etc to be the big dogs in their respective classes with no remedy
available to other models.  This makes the sport cater to more eclectic
vehicles, the exact opposite of what I suspect is wanted.  So I wouldn't
go there.  IMHO, of course.

--Byron