Re: swaybar info(2)

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: swaybar info(2)
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 22:17:07 -0500
Just to broaden (and/or narrow) the scope of AJ's statistical analysis
of this year's Nationals...

Class  RWD  FWD
SS      43    0
SSL     10    0
AS      42    0
ASL      8    0
BS      51    0
BSL     12    0
CS      33    0
CSL      8    0
DS       0   40
DSL      0   11
ES       0   28
ESL      0    8
FS      40    0
FSL      6    0
GS      12   24 (included 7 known AWD cars with RWD)
GSL      1    7
HS       0   18
HSL      0    5
       ___  ___
Total  266  136

AJ's example showed that 26.0% of ALL 1st place finishes were in FWD
cars.  My example shows that 33.8% of all competing STOCK CLASS cars
were FWD.

What's it mean?  Nothing.  Just a bunch of numbers.  Interesting that
402 out of over 940 competitors were in stock class cars.

Looking at these numbers, who would be effected by changing the swaybar
rule to allow changing either the front OR the rear bar?

SS, AS, BS, CS and FS would likely not be effected at all as there
aren't many FWD cars in those classes.  And the few that are there
probably wouldn't benefit enough to become competitive with the top
drivers in the top cars.  (and if they DID become overly competitive,
they'd just get reclassed anyway)

That leaves DS, ES, GS & HS... which are primarily FWD classes anyway.
The FWD cars in those classes would probably just get a little faster
and not wear out their front tires as quickly.  The competition might
change a little, but I wouldn't expect it to change much.

Just my opinion... food for thought.

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://home.kscable.com/shad
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca