Re: swaybar info(2)

To: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Subject: Re: swaybar info(2)
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:21:40 -0700
Byron Short wrote:

> OK, I'll jump in here, at least partially to Mark's defense.

Not sure Mark needs any help with defense. He is bright, articulate, and
knowledgeable, and I always 'listen' to what he has to say after I sort
out the inflammatory stuff  :-)

> When I was on the SEB (I left 3 years ago) I felt the swaybar rule was
> outdated........... Anyway, after much discussion on the SEB we decided to put
> it out to the membership.  It was published in FasTrack as a straw poll,
> with the idea that we would decide a course of action to back after the
> results of the poll.  The choices were 1) keep it as it is, 2) either
> but not both, or 3) both stock.
>
> The results were underwhelming........Of these, opinions were split nearly
> evenly between the three choices......... we felt if we were to make a
> choice that would serve the membership best it was to leave it as it was.

A good decision at that time.

> So this HAS been floated by the entire membership just 4 years ago ....
> ......Maybe it's time to try again, but just because Team.Net can whip itself
> into a fervor over an issue doesn't mean that fervor is universal.

Oh so true. Team.net is only a discussion forum representing a somewhat
skewed section of the autocross community. I want to be clear here that
I said "skewed", and NOT "screwed"  :-)

Times have changed, even in four years.  It seems that with the advent
of the Spec car classes we now seem to be forming (SS, BS, DS, etc.)
that if a potential swaybar change were to be done it should be to make
some current uncompetitive cars a little more competitive. There should
be a *reason* that would benefit the sport overall. Might be a better
time to revisit this concept, and make sure you reach your target audience.

In looking at the 'big picture', and really wanting to have "1000 in
2000" as well as future growth, we should avoid having classes with only
one or two cars that are *the* cars to have a chance in heck of winning
major events with. If the swaybar option would loosen the grip of those
few cars and create more competition, that would be a good thing in my
world - also a kinda skewded world, I admit  :-)

> EDITORIAL COMMENT.  Going to both ends completely stock will widen the
> gap in stock classes.  IMHO, of course.

I support this "IMHO" 100%. The man speaks with great
wisdom.....whenever anyone can understand him  :-)

(Ever read his treatise on Slaloms?)

Scott Meyers