Re: swaybar info(2)

To: solo2@uswest.net
Subject: Re: swaybar info(2)
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 11:31:23 -0700
I think if you look at the Solo II Nats Results from 4 years ago you'll
find about the same number and balance of "spec" classes.

It's a popular notion that spec classes should be dropped in favor of
diverse classes.  However, please note that the spec classes are almost
always larger than the diverse classes.  As people vote with their
wallets on what to drive, more seem to choose spec classes, and the
security of *knowing* they have the "right car", than are willing to go
out and pick from the deli tray a car that might be okay for the class.

So I disagree with your premise, I guess.  I think that spec classes are
a large part of what drives our numbers up.  Even with that said
however, we should always maintain a balance of spec and diverse classes
so that we can suit both preferences.

Also, I'd argue that given enough time in a static environment, all
classes will become spec classes.  As people "learn" the hot car for the
class, eventually we reach a point where that car becomes "the" car.
This is the case with BS nee CS.  When Miatas first hit CS they were
trophy fodder.  At that time CS was pretty diverse, but had more 914's
in the trophies at Nats than any other model.  (Weird, huh?)  But as
time went on the Miata became better and better accepted until it became
the spec car for the class.  It's only the inclusion of new models and
reclassifications that keep us from having 9 spec classes in stock.  And
IMHO, that happy accident, the fact that we are always classifying new
cars and reclassifying old cars, is what keeps the numbers of spec and
diverse classes in balance.

--Byron