Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?

To: <AnalogMike@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why not "pro" cone chasers?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:05:25 -0500
AnalogMike sez:

>I have often thought about this, especially with a young child
>who I often bring to events.

I'm in the same boat there.

> At a recent Zone-1 PCA event, we had
>to work whenever we were not running (2 heats) and
>I never saw my daughter but for a few minutes between heats.
>That sucks however you look at it.

What would stop you from bringing a designated worker with you
(paid or not, depending on what you work out with the individual)
and having them work instead of you? I've never seen an SCCA
region refuse this, although admittedly I have no idea about PCA.

>Not at all. There are certainly people who would not like to
>pay $50 to run, in that case they could get a worker's
discount -

They tried that with Pro Solo at one time, for a season or two.
I'm not sure if it worked out or not. I have no basic objection
to this sort of deal, but it's entirely different from what
Dennis was proposing. It's one thing to offer an entrant a
discount for working, another entirely to try to hire folks off
the street. It's still not a panacea. See below.

>Let the competitors decide if they want to work or not, and see
>if this idea would fly.

So what happens if EVERYBODY at an event decides to pay extra not
to work? Who shags cones, operates timers, does grid, etc., then?
Sounds a lot like a pyramid scheme to me.

Jay