Re: Lower Cost Improvements

To: "Scott Meyers" <solo2@uswest.net>, "TEAM.NET" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lower Cost Improvements
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:07:17 -0500
Scott queries:

>As far as cost the plugs are very inexpensive. No brainer, but,
are the
>platinums really any better?

Yep, but not necessarily because they make more power. The
electrodes wear much more slowly, and they're less prone to
fouling.

>The ignition wires are around $120 or so.....right?  (Magnicor?)
Heard
>good things about them.

When somebody says that plugs or wires will make more power, it
sounds a lot to me like saying "your dynamite will explode much
more powerfully if you light it with our special matches." That's
an obvious oversimplification, but I don't think most modern cars
will generate more power just from changing out plugs and/or
wires, unless what came out was worn out or defective. I know
there are others who claim differently, but that's been my
experience.

>BUT, do I buy new injectors, get mine 'cleaned', or spring for
the
>"blueprinted" ones (whatever that means.

In principle, you're better off if the flow rates of your
injectors match. Now, the question is whether a fresh set from
the dealer is "matched." I don't know the answer there, but
clearing up problems with injectors will definitely make a
noticeable difference in how your car runs.

Jay